Wednesday, March 1, 2017

And Suddenly It's March


March lived up to its reputation, bursting in with thunder, wind, and rain. Outside, it's 70 degrees. A year ago, the month arrived with a blustery storm, too. I described that day in my 2016 journal:

"The weather is so grim, I might as well live on an English moor--cold and damp and dark. It fits my mood: just call me Dame Gloom."
But March is full of surprises: the day ended with a gilded sunset. 



March reminds me to expect the unexpected, especially this year when unseasonable temperatures have awakened every living thing. March also teaches patience, advising me to resist the alluring flowers at Home Depot and Lowe's and to prepare my flower beds.

"Garden drudgery pays in flowers," my mother says.

  
      
I've always been obsessed with the weather. Since the 1970s, I've kept track of temperatures, storms, and the sublime joy of picking daffodils. I use large spiral notebooks, the kind with 100 pages, and by the end of the year, I'll have a thick stack of books. 
             

"The morning is glazed with fog, damp and greasy, as if someone threw bacon drippings into the air. I cannot see the road. The old-timers saw signs and portents in nature. If we pay attention to birds, flowers, and clouds, we learn how to find the extraordinary in the ordinary."        
--from my late winter journal, March 13, 2006         

     
 "And where the suns peep, in every sheltered place,
The little early buttercups unfold. . . . "
-- John Clare, "Young Lambs"    

  

Recommended Reading:
The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady by Edith Holden (originally published 1906)
Nature Notes of The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady by Edith Holden/Alan C. Jenkins (companion book)
The Country Diary Cookery Notes by Edith Holden/Alison Harding

Shared at:

21 comments:

  1. I love those pretty book pages strewn with flowers, bulbs, moss and your bird nest. ♥ Great minds read alike~ I just received The Country Diary and Nature Notes from a used book seller on Amazon. They have a special shelf in my Potting Shed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the March quote by Charles Dickens. Since my birthday is in March I am always eager to see a positive thought about March since the weather can be challenging. On this first day of March we will be getting a snowstorm. Hoping that if March comes in like a lion it will go out like a lamb! I love daffodils. The great thing about them too is the deer and rabbits don't bother them if you grow your own! Love your artistic displays and enjoyed this read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a breath of spring, I am in the mood for yellow as well. Love the spring daffodils, and I need to plant more this year. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful and I do wonder how the weather will be this month. Such a strange February.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michael Lee! Lovely post and I can't believe March is here already! We've had the flu over at my house and I'm kinda dragging! Hope all is well with you.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spring has sprung where I live! I love the daffodils at this time of year. Your post was just perfect!
    Thank you for the beautiful pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Hilltop Diary of a Tennessee Lady. What an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michael Lee, I can certainly see a book in your future. Such descriptive wording! I love March, as feisty as it usually is. That was my mother, and tomorrow would have been her 97th birthday. In like a lion here too - very strong t'storms after early morning high of 70°. Happy March!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photography is so beautiful! I can't believe it is already March!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. March 1st here was absolutely glorious. I guess it came in like a lamb. Yesterday was in the 80s and very humid, but today was cool, breezy, and perfect.
    I have a copy of the Country Diary, and have much enjoyed it. I ordered the companion Nature Notes this evening. Thanks for listing it. I'm sure I will enjoy having it as well.
    I admire that you keep a daily diary. I've never been consistent about keeping a diary. I've always wanted to keep a sketch book, but alas I don't have the artistic talent to create as I'd like. Do you sketch in your diary?
    Happy Month of March. Rabbit, Rabbits!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michael,
    Loved reading this entry into your journal about the weather, spring, temperatures, and flowers. I smiled all through the reading. Thanks for the visual and mental images.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your journals are gorgeous Michael Lee, and the photo styling is fabulous. I really enjoyed quotes, weather has always fascinated me too, and March is always full of surprises. Yesterday was summer like, but then Mother Nature changed her mind and spent the night dealing us blustery winds and colder temps. I always thinking of March as Old Man Winter's desperate attempt to hang on to fleeting youth...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beautiful post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The most gorgeous images!!...Images so beautiful and your words so eloquent, as always! Happy March!...Charles Dickens said it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, you got all of Edith H.'s books! I have been looking at them on Amazon. I found one at the thrift store and it came home with me. That is neat you journal the weather. Grandad was a farmer and we always had to "get still" so he could hear the weather! Beautifully done post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now and then a copy will be available on Amazon for a reasonable amount. Love the image of your Granddad "getting still" to hear the weather. That's something I need to do.

      Delete
  16. Can I subscribe to you via email?What a lovely blog. Thank you in advance,Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet words, Dawn. If you look on the blog's right-hand column, you'll find a subscription box. It's just below the pink social media icons.

      Delete